Newmillerdam . Image 5/117

First Previous Next Last  
Click to See Next Image

In Sept 1871 Abraham Colbeck, blacksmith of Newmillerdam undertook a large scale operation - to build a set of gates for the western entrance of the lake and grounds of Newmillerdam. The project being authorised by Sir Lionel M S Pilkington, Esquire of Chevet Hall. By February of the following year the gates were complete and on the 6th and 7th of the same month Abraham carried the gates, single-handedly, from his shop at 653 Barnsley Road the short distance to the entrance of the park. In 1955 the gates were altered. This alteration was in the form of a decorative arch above the gates being removed to allow lorries to enter the park with loads of shale used to surface the roads. Picture from Elsie Walton paths. Abraham's gates are locked each night at sunset.